Long stay visa for visitors
The "visitor" visa (or visa "D") allows you to enter France and stay for more than three months, if you have sufficient personal funds to stay in France without working (retired, sabbatical year…).
Except if you are a citizen of Switzerland, Andorra, Vatican, San Marino, Monaco or of the European Economic Area :
Also special rules apply for [family members of an European Union citizen.
Processing time may take up to 3 weeks.
Applications cannot been processed more than 3 months ahead of time.
1. One application form (English version) filled out completely and signed by the applicant.
2. One ID picture glued/stapled onto the application form
3. Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be lvalid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.
4. Status in the US (IF YOU ARE NOT A US CITIZEN) - If you are not a US citizen, copy of your green card or visa.
5. Letter promising not to engage in any employment in France (signature certified by a notary public)
6. Letter of employment in the US stating occupation and earnings
7. Proof of means of income - copy of your last 2 bank statements, investment certificates, pension slips, …
8. Proof of medical insurance (FAQ)
9. Marriage certificate (IF APPLICABLE) or family book + Birth certificates for children
10. Proof of accommodation in France (title deeds, lease or rental agreement)
11. Processing fees
12. One residence form duly filled out (upper part only):
- Residence Form
- (PDF - 177.9 kb)
13. E-TICKET OR RESERVATION CONFIRMATION EMAIL SHOWING THE DATE OF DEPARTURE TO EUROPE
14. A self-addressed prepaid envelope with a tracking number from USPS OR FEDEX ONLY. You may use one envelope per family. You don’t have to provide an envelope if you prefer to pick up your passport when it is ready. For FedEx, you must choose the option “BILL RECIPIENT”, not “BILL SENDER”.
Please keep copy of your tracking number (as we are not going to do so), stick the mailing label on the envelope and fill out like this :
88 Kearny Street #600
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94108
Your full name
- The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
- Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
- Please note that holders of visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into France. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter France.