Visa de Retour

A "Visa de retour" allows an individual who is already resident in France and temporarily studying or working in the USA to return to France, due to one of the following situations:

- Loss of your "Carte de séjour"

- Your "Carte de séjour" :

  • has expired for less than 6 months
  • will expire soon and you have a valid reason not to go back to France before it expires (for instance, you are temporarily studying in the USA)

- You hold a "récepissé de demande de carte de séjour"

1- Processing time

Please note that applications cannot be processed more than 3 months in advance, but do not wait the last minute.

Be aware that answers for "visa de retour" from the "Prefecture" take time, from a few days to several weeks.

2- Requirements

Please provide us with the ORIGINAL + 1 COPY of each document including passeport and relevant pages.


You must bring your documents and the required copies otherwise your visa will automatically be denied

We only accept residents from Northern California, Northern Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Hawaii. Please note you will have to show us a driver license from one of these states (for students : driver license or student ID from school located in one of these states).

- Original passport (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages)

  • Must be valid for at least three months after your return to the US
  • Has least two blank pages left to affix the visa (amendment pages are not suitable for visas).
  • Has been delivered less than 10 years ago (first issuance)
  • Be in good condition.

Refugee travel documents and US Re-entry permits are not accepted. Diplomatic and official service special passports are not accepted

3. Processing fee (for long stay visas)

- Two long stay visa application forms filled out completely and signed by the applicant.

- Two ID pictures. Do not glu or staple. All photographs must be recent, in color on a plain white background, of full front view, taken facing the camera. No side or angled view are acceptable. Passport size. No hat, no veil.

- A valid U.S. visa with valid I-94 or valid I-20. (or B1-B2 visa in case of loss of your "Carte de séjour")

- Proof of your stay in the USA, such as:

  • A registration or letter enrollment from School/University in the USA (Fax not allowed) describing your activities in the United States.

- Carte de séjour, or récépissé de demande de Carte de séjour

- Proof of your reasons to return to France, such as:

  • A registration or letter enrollment from School/University in France (Fax not allowed) confirming the continuance of your studies in France.

- Declaration from the Police (in case of loss of your "Carte de séjour")

4. Important information

The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.

Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.

Last modified on 07/04/2017

top of the page