Short stay visa for airport transit visa

Applications cannot be processed more than 3 months ahead of time.

Airport transit visa

1. What is an airport transit visa ?

An airport transit visa (also called ’A’ visa), is a visa that allows you to transit through the international zone of a French airport with no access to the Schengen space, before flying to your final destination.

• For example: you fly SAN FRANCISCO - PARIS - NEW DELHI or SAN FRANCISCO - PARIS - LAGOS, and stay within the international zone at Roissy - Charles de Gaulle airport for a few hours, without going through immigration, but

• Traveling from the USA to any SCHENGEN COUNTRY (except France) via a FRENCH AIRPORT is not considered an airport transit neither is travelling from the USA to any country via 2 Schengen state airports. All flights between two or more Schengen States are considered to be «domestic» flights. Depending on your nationality, you might need a short stay visa

• If you transit through a French airport and if you need a visa for the Schengen state which is your main destination, you must apply for a short stay visa at the consulate of that country. This Schengen visa will allow you to transit through a French airport.

2. Will I be able to pay a quick visit to Paris ?

NO. An airport transit visa does not allow you to go out of the international zone of the airport. if you need to change airports you will need a short stay visa, also called ’C’ visa.

3. Do I need an airport transit visa ?

- You DO NOT NEED an airport transit visa if you :

o hold a valid Schengen visa, national long-stay visa or residence permit issued by one of the European Union countries;

o hold a valid residence permit issued by Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino or the United States of America. For the US, valid residence permits are :

  • Form I-551 Permanent resident card (valid for 2 to 10 years),
  • Form I-551 Alien registration receipt card (valid for 2 to 10 years),
  • Form I-551 Alien registration receipt card (no expiry date),
  • Form I-327 Re-entry document (valid for two years — issued to holders of a I-551),
  • Resident alien card (valid for 2 or 10 years or no expiry date. This document guarantees the holder’s return only if his/her stay outside the USA has not exceeded one year),
  • Permit to re-enter (valid for two years. This document guarantees the holder’s return only if his/her stay outside the USA has not exceeded two years). The advance parole is NOT a re-entry permit.
  • Valid temporary residence stamp in the passport (valid for one year from the date of issue);

o hold a valid visa for one of the countries of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra, San Marino, Canada, Japan or the United States of America, or if this visa is expired but you are leaving the country which delivered it;

o are a spouse/minor child of a European Union citizen;

o hold a diplomatic passport;

o are a flight crew member -national of a contracting party to the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation.

If you are not listed above, you DO NEED an airport transit visa, only if you are citizen from the following countries :

Afghanistan Albania[1] Angola[1]
Bangladesh Burkina Faso[1] Cameroon[1]
Chad[1] Colombia[1] Rep. of Congo[1]
Dem. Rep. of Congo Cuba Djibouti
Dominican Republic[1] Eritrea Ethiopia
Gambia[1] Ghana Guinea
Guinea-Bissau[1] Haïti[1] India[1]
Iraq Iraq Ivory Coast[1]
Liberia[1] Mali[1] Mauritania[1]
Nigeria Pakistan Palestinians
Peru[1] Russia[2] Senegal[1]
Sierra Leone[1] Somalia Sri Lanka
Sudan[1] Togo[1]

Airport transit visa is not required for official passport holders.

Only Russian citizens arriving from an Armenian, Azerbaijani, Georgian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Moldavian, Turkish or Egyptian airport. Airport transit visa is not required for official passport holders.

Exceptions :

No airport transit visa is required if you have a US or Canadian visa stamped in your passport or if you travel with your U.S. Refugee travel document.

Russian citizens : if you are transiting through Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Belarus, Ukraine, Egypt, Turkey, Moldova, please contact us.

4. Processing time

An airport transit visa may be issued within two or three days upon application.

Applications cannot been processed more than 3 months ahead of time.

5. Requirements

Please provide us with the original + 1 COPY of each document. The visa section does not make any copies. You must bring your documents and the required copies. You are also invited to sort your documents in the same order they are listed below in order to facilitate the work of the visa officer that will review your application.

1. Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.

2. Processing fees

3. One application form filled out completely and signed by the applicant (please read carefully the explanations).

4. One ID picture stapled onto the application form

5. proof of your status in the USA (US visa along with a copy of I-20 / I-AP66 / I-94, or an Advance Parole document.
We do NOT accept applications from B1/B2 visa holders. They must apply in their country of residence

6. Your travel itinerary to your country of destination : you MUST BOOK your airline ticket but do not purchase until the visa has been approved.

7. if applicable : a valid visa for the country which is your main destination.

8. If the applicant is under 18 years old and travelling without his parents:
o notarized copy of his (her) birth certificate
o notarized authorization from both parents allowing their child to travel to France or from the parent exercising full custody of the child according to the divorce decree.
o if you are divorced : certified copy of divorce decree stating that you have full custody of the child(ren).

9. A self-addressed prepaid envelope with a tracking number from USPS OR FEDEX ONLY. You may use one envelope per family. You don’t have to provide an envelope if you prefer to pick up your passport when it is ready. For FedEx, you must choose the option “BILL RECIPIENT”, not “BILL SENDER”.

Please keep copy of your tracking number (as we are not going to do so), stick the mailing label on the envelope and fill out like this :

88 Kearny Street #600

Your full name
Your address

6. Important information

• The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.

• Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.

• Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.

Last modified on 01/09/2016

top of the page