Visa for Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guyana, Reunion

Applications cannot be processed more than 3 months ahead of time.

Passengers on cruise ships are exempt from visa requirements to enter and stay in these territories for the duration of the stop if they are green card holders or if they hold a valid US resident visa.

1. Do you need a visa for Martinique, Guadeloupe, Saint Martin, St Barthelemy, French Guiana, Reunion ?

YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries even if you hold a US Permanent Resident Card :

Afghanistan Albania Algeria
Angola Antigua & Barbuda Armenia
Azerbaidjan Bahamas Bahrein
Bangladesh Barbados Belize
Benin Bhutan Belarus
Brazil except for St. Martin & St. Barthelemy Bosnia Botswana
Burkina Faso Burma Burundi
Cambodia Cameroon Cape Verde
Central Africa Chad China
Colombia Comoros Congo
D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre) Cuba Djibouti
Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador
Egypt Equatorial Guinea Eritrea
Ethiopia Fiji Gabon
Gambia Georgia Ghana
Grenada Guinea Guinea Bissau
Guyana Haiti Hong Kong (except S.A.R.)
India Indonesia Iran
Iraq Israel Ivory Coast
Jamaica Jordan Kazakhstan
Kenya Kirghizistan Kiribati
Kuweit Laos Lebanon
Lesotho Liberia Libya
Macao (except S.A.R.) Macedonia* Madagascar
Malawi Maldives Mali
Marshall Islands Mauritania
(Mauritiusexception: no visa for Reunion and less than 15-day say) Micronesia Moldavia
Mongolia Montenegro* Morocco
Mozambique Namibia Nauru
Nepal Niger Nigeria
North Korea Oman Pakistan
Palau Palestine Papua
Peru (except for Guadeloupe, Martinique and Guyana) Philippines Qatar
Refugees Russia Rwanda
Solomon Samoa Saudi Arabia
Senegal Serbia* Seychelles (exception : no visa required for Reunion and less than 15-days stay)
Sierra Leone Somalia South Africa
Sri Lanka St Kitts St Lucia (exception : no visa required for French West Indies and less than 15-days stay)
St Thomas St Vincent Sudan
Surinam Swaziland Syria
Tadjikistan Taiwan Tanzania
Thailand Togo Tonga
Tunisia Turkey
Turkmenistan Tuvalu Uganda
Ukraine United Arab Emirates Uzbekistan
Vanuatu Vietnam Yemen
former Yugoslavia Zambia Zimbabwe

*Biometric passport holders from Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia are no longer required to obtain a visa for stays under 90 days.

o Citizens from the Caribbean and the Indian Ocean countries, please contact us to double-check.

o Diplomatic and official passport holders, please contact us.

NO, if you are an american citizen or hold a passport issued by a country NOT listed above, you do not need any visa to enter a French Overseas Department as a tourist.

However, if the purpose of your trip is NOT tourism, then you may still be required to get a visa before your departure please check with us.

2. Is a Schengen visa valid for French Overseas Department ?

No, you have to apply for a specific visa, allowing you to visit these territories. If you intend to visit both France and one of these territories, you have to apply for a visa "Schengen + this territory"

Examples :

• You are traveling directly from the USA to Martinique without going through Europe : you have to apply for a visa "Martinique".

• You are traveling from the USA to Guadeloupe and Martinique without going through Europe : you have to apply for a visa "Guadeloupe + Martinique".

• You are traveling from the USA to Guadeloupe flying through Europe : you have to apply for a visa "Schengen + Guadeloupe".

3. Processing time

If you are applying for a visa "Schengen + territory" : please refer to the article Schengen Short stay visa for tourism,business or family to know about the processing time.

Applications cannot be processed more than 3 months ahead of time.

4. Requirements

Please provide us with the original + 1 COPY of each document. The visa section does not make any copies. You must bring your documents and the required copies. You are also invited to sort your documents in the same order they are listed below in order to facilitate the work of the visa officer that will review your application.

1. Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.

2. Processing fees

3. One application form filled out completely and signed by the applicant (please read carefully the explanations :

PDF - 89.2 kb
application form
(PDF - 89.2 kb)

4. One ID picture glued/stapled onto the application form

5. A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid US visa with valid I-94 / valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document.
We do NOT accept applications from B1/B2 visa holders. They must apply in their country of residence.

6. If the country of final destination is not the applicant’s country of citizenship, please submit a valid visa, a resident permit, a work permit or any other document showing that the applicant is allowed to enter or reside in such country.

7. Proof of socio-professional status :
o letter of employment in the U.S confirming your salary, hire date, position and dates of vacation (business registration if self employed)
o and your last 2 pay-stubs
o or letter from your school or university confirming your enrollment status, attendance and anticipated graduation date

8. Proof of financial means : your last 2 bank statements

9. Your travel itinerary : you MUST BOOK your airline ticket but do not purchase until the visa has been approved.

10. Proof of medical coverage abroad : a letter from your insurance company stating that you are covered abroad or a travel insurance to be purchased from a travel agency (minimum amount of 50,000 US$)

11. Proof of accomodation :
o Confirmed hotel reservations for your entire stay in the Schengen states
o or a letter from your travel agent stating that you are part of a tour.
o or, if you are staying with friends or family, original of "Attestation d’Accueil" that your host has to request at the City Hall (Mairie) in France
o For a business trip: please also provide a letter from your employer in the US or from your host company in France stating that you are in France on behalf of the company, giving the name and address of the contact person(s) in France and guaranteeing full responsibility for expenses, lodging, and return to the United States

12. If the applicant is under 18 years old and travelling without his parents:
o notarized copy of his (her) birth certificate

o notarized authorization from both parents allowing their child to travel to France or from the parent exercising full custody of the child according to the divorce decree.

o if you are divorced : certified copy of divorce decree stating that you have full custody of the child(ren).

13. A self-addressed prepaid envelope with a tracking number from USPS OR FEDEX ONLY. You may use one envelope per family. You don’t have to provide an envelope if you prefer to pick up your passport when it is ready. For FedEx, you must choose the option “BILL RECIPIENT”, not “BILL SENDER”.
Please keep copy of your tracking number (as we are not going to do so), stick the mailing label on the envelope and fill out like this :

88 Kearny Street #600

Your full name
Your address

5. Important information

• The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.

• Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.

• Please note that holders of visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into France. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter France.

Last modified on 20/09/2017

top of the page