Long stay visa for studies : minor under 18 years old
• Minors of less than 18 years old are not requested to apply for their own residence permit in France.
• Minors who hold a long stay visa to study in France are allowed to reside in France for up to 11 months according to the validity of their visa.
Yes except if you are a citizen of Switzerland, Andorra, Vatican, San Marino, Monaco or of the European Economic Area :
Also special rules apply for family members of an European Union citizen
- 2 months for citizens from :
|US Re-entry permit||US Refugee travel document||Rwanda|
|Syria||Yemen||United Arab Emirates|
- It may take about 21 days for all other nationalities.
Applications cannot be processed more than 3 months ahead of time.
1. Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages) valid for at least three months after your return to the US. Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.
2. One application form (English version) filled out completely and signed.
3. One ID picture glued/stapled onto the application form
5. Registration in a French school (original + 1 photocopy)
6. Parental authorization:
- Parental authorization
- (PDF - 138.2 kb)
7. Liability insurance by an organization specialized in school exchanges and educational stays, to be filled out by this organization.
8. A record of immunization or letter from the family doctor stating when the child received the anti poliomyelitis and the DTP (diphtheria, pertusis and tetanus) shots.
9. Recent transcripts for the current school year.
10. Host family agreement filled out and signed by both parents of the host family in France with proof of their means of income and proof of legal status in France (photocopy of national identity card or residence card, if the host is a foreigner). The letter (original + 1 photocopy) must state that they will assume responsibility for payment of all expenses relating to accommodation, education, repatriation costs and also information about the accommodation.
11. Proof of financial resources such as:
o if the parents provide the financial means for the stay in France: a letter from your bank stating you possess sufficient means to support your child with a minimum amount of $ 820 per month of stay in France and the financial guarantee form filled out (original + 1 photocopy).
o if the host family provides the financial means for the stay in France, they must fill out the financial guarantee form (French version) and they must include: avis d’imposition, bulletin de salaire, attestations bancaires, titre de propriété ou bail, etc.
12. An insurance certificate fully covering the student abroad (original + 1 photocopy).
13. If the child is not a U.S. citizen: a valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid U.S. visa with valid I-94 or valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document (original + 1 photocopy).
14. The minor’s original birth certificate plus one photocopy
15. A printout from the airline indicating the date of departure for Europe
16. A self-addressed prepaid envelope with a tracking number from USPS OR FEDEX ONLY. You may use one envelope per family. You don’t have to provide an envelope if you prefer to pick up your passport when it is ready. For FedEx, you must choose the option “BILL RECIPIENT”, not “BILL SENDER”.
Please keep copy of your tracking number (as we are not going to do so), stick the mailing label on the envelope and fill out like this :
88 Kearny Street #600
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94108
Your full name
• The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
• Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
• Please note that holders of visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into France. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter France.